Saturday, April 13, 2013

Everything has a place and...

Recently I found myself in a unique experience for me as a freelancer, I was in a position of great importance, but lacked the power to actually alter the course of disorganization before me.  Organization of production materials, equipment, and processes is essential to providing post-production elements that are easily located during construction.  Some organizations I have worked with embrace this idea without reservation, while others see the organization of data as a waste of time; that is of course until something cannot be located.  If all parties have a system under which they work, issues like these should not occur, and if they do, there should be a digital back-up in place so that there is a minimal loss of production time.  I often find it ironic that a team of personnel who have devoted their life to communications can actually become mute during a crises.  This is often followed by intense projection on the freelance team for dropping the ball.  Rather than reaching for understanding and resolution a difficult situation becomes pervertedly childish and the system remains broken. 

Today's digital systems require proper planning for post prior to production.  Conversations between department heads, or essential team members should be considered before shooting begins so that everyone understands the production chain.  Of course mistakes and misunderstandings will occur, but an actual crises in the production chain should not happen if everyone knows what is expected of them.  The only crises on a digital shoot short of personal injury, should reside in the devices that are utilized in the production of the project.  Some days I blame this lack of systemic structure in the industry on a new era of production training.  During my era of comeuppance, one started at the bottom, leaned every element of production and did not dare dictate the course of operations before they were ready.  Like some of my peers, I attended film school, but I never expected to begin at the top or even the middle of the food chain on any set.  I did not work with people in production who did not understand each persons role, or how to do their role if necessary.  Today I can honestly say that is not usually my experience.

We are a band of gypsies that has a privileged lifestyle and career.  We are craftsmen and trades people, working towards a common goal for a short period of time until we leave that job and enter the next one.  It seems we would do well to learn some of the critical processes perfected by some of the most successful corporations, but instead we often find ourselves in a room with children who have simply dumped all of their toys on the floor.  Expecting freelancers to pick them up and makes sense out of them for you can occasionally breed resentment.  Maybe if some of you considered us your partners in success rather than your "lesser skilled" labor you might find more harmony on your sets.

2 comments:

  1. Thank-you, it is nice to know I'm not alone...sometimes older folks can be perceived as primadonnas!

    ReplyDelete