Monday, February 25, 2013

Camera or Vision



Attending a seminar this weekend, I realized just how many people are consumed by the technology of image making rather than photography itself.  Like all techno-geeks, I love the hardware involved in the construction of images, but the real joy of this profession lies in the moments behind the lens, when these tools become an extension of ones vision.  After many years of negotiating contracts and debating with individuals over the superiority of one camera system over another I have come realize that it really does not matter what you shoot with if you know how to shoot.  All the technology in the world cannot replace a great story and a producer with a plan.  I have had the opportunity to work on a range of programs in my career, including the "beautiful but inane" and the "eloquent but penniless."  As a long-time shooter all I can say is this, "plan your work and deliver your message on the page; because even though digital technology may be cheap, poor execution is not."

No comments:

Post a Comment